December 07, 2006

The Only Teacher - Chapter One

A friend gave me the book "With Christ in the School of Prayer" by Andrew Murray. It has been encouraging to read, and pick up off and on through the year. Here's some excerpts from the 1st chapter:

"And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, 'Lord, teach us to pray.' " - Luke 11:1

Prayer is a fellowship with the Unseen and Most Holy One. The powers of the eternal world have been placed at prayer's disposal.
It is to prayer that God has given the right to take hold of Him and His strength. It is on prayer that the promises wait for their fulfillment, the Kingdom waits for its coming, and the glory of God waits for its full revelation.
Nothing delights Him more than to find those whom He can take with Him into the Father's presence, clothing them with power to pray down God's blessing to those around them, training them to be His fellow-workers in the intercession by which the Kingdom is to be revealed on earth.
By His Holy Spirit He has access to our hearts and teaches us to pray by showing us the sin that hinders the prayer, or by giving us assurance that we please God.
What do you think my beloved fellow-disciples? As we meditate on the words He spoke on earth, let us yield ourselves to His teaching the fullest confidence that with such a Teacher, we will make progress. Let us take time not only to meditate, but to pray, to sit at the foot of the throne and be trained for the work of intercession.

Lord, teach us to pray.

Lord Jesus! Enroll my name among those who confess that they don't know how to pray as they should, and who especially ask You for a course of teaching in prayer. Lord! Teach me to be patient in Your school, so that You will have time to train me. I am ignorant of the wonderful privilege and power of prayer, of the need for the Holy Spirit to be the spirit of prayer. Lead me to forget the thoughts of what I think I know, and make me kneel before You in true teachableness and poverty of spirit.
Fill me, Lord, with the confidence that with You for my Teacher, I will learn to pray

No comments: